Job Ref JPN/ 8643
Salary £90,000 100,000
Experience Level Partner
Practice Area LitigationProperty
PROPERTY LITIGATION PARTNER – EAST MIDLANDS
A leading East Midlands practice has retained us to search for a new Head of Property Litigation. The role would suit an already established property litigation partner or a senior associate property litigation specialist who is looking for the next challenge. This position is to join as a fixed share salaried partner.
The workload will include the full spectrum of property litigation matters, including:
- landlord and tenant issues (almost exclusively commercial) including lease renewals (hostile and non-hostile), service of and disputes relating to break options, dilapidations, repair notices, forfeiture and relief from forfeiture, disputes arising from applications for consent to alter, sub-let or assign, service charge disputes, rent recovery and action against guarantors, property related insolvency issues.
- Advice on and disputes relating to proprietary rights, including adverse possession, breach of easement and restrictive covenant, tribunal applications in relation to relaxation or discharge of restrictive covenants, trespass (including traveller evictions), party wall issues.
- Disputes relating to contracts for the sale and/or development of property, compliance with contract conditions, enforcement of performance obligations.
- Property related professional negligence claims (acting for claimants).
- The role also involves supervision and coaching of junior fee earning staff and overseeing large numbers of lease renewals undertaken primarily by junior staff; trouble shooting on issues arising in relation to potential disputes and a variety of drafting issues; working with transactional colleagues on a daily basis and being able to assist them at short notice if required. Although the work is almost exclusively commercial, assistance is sometimes required by the plots sales and residential conveyancing teams, so a sound knowledge of the residential conveyancing process is essential.
The landlord and tenant work is primarily for national retailers but also includes work for large investor landlords and commercial occupiers. Other work is for a diverse client base including house builders, developers, banks, commercial occupiers and high net worth individuals.